I was tagged by my fellow Apartment Therapy writer, organizing pro and friend, Beth of Bneato to partake in the ever fun to read and also create, “7 Things You Didn’t Know About Me” meme. I’m a sucker for these things, so here are seven tidbits of miscellany about myself that may or may not be of any interest:
1. I am very slow to wake in the morning, particularly in the verbal functionality department. So much so, Emily initially believed I awoke each morning bad tempered, when in fact, I’m just slow to warm up mentally in regards to linguistic expression (miming, grunting and coffee drinking facilities seem immediately accessible). I can jump out of bed in an instant, get dressed, and even start emailing/writing before even the first yawn of the morn, but ask me to speak and you’ll be met with a blank, sticky eyed stare. Like a GMC Gremlin on a winter Nebraskan morning, my engine needs warming up before I start.
2. I have a checklist of animals I’d like to see in the wild in my lifetime. I was able to cross off the octopus not that long ago, but still have hopes of one day seeing a manatee, a highway of leaf cutter ants, flying fish, a blue whale, a Bengal tiger cub, a brown bear while hiking (but from a safe distance), desert tortoise, a California condor, the whale shark and Emily’s nightmare fish, the sunfish. A dinosaur of some sort would be great too, if we’re going to throw in the whole kitchen sink.
3. The fastest I’ve ever run was a distance of a mile in 5:47. I might have vomited afterward, but was extremely proud considering my previous best 7:00. But now that record time haunts me because I’ll never run that fast again. I’d be fortunate to run a 8:00 mile these days.
4. I love hiking to waterfalls. Nothing is a better reward than following a trail that ends in a waterfall, whether great or small, where I can rest, explore and enjoy the sight and sounds of falling water. Some say you can find treasure at the end of a rainbow, but I believe riches can be found at the base of a waterfall.
5. My vision is horrible…Mr. Magoo blind. I wear 5.50 and 5.25 contacts and high index eyeglasses. If you were to stand 3 feet in front of me with a stop sign, I’d just see a red circular shape (the edges would blur) and the word OTOO.
6. I read as fast as I eat…which is very fast. I am trying to slow down both activities for the sake of health and enjoyment. I’ve decided it’s okay to read graphic novels, comic books, magazines and certain websites at typical expedient pace, but am purposely slowing down with books.
7. I initially studied environmental architecture at U.C. Davis for the first three years of my attendance. I later helped reopen the visual design department at UCD after becoming disillusioned with the bureaucracy of architectural practice and also realizing I was enjoying creating the presentations of my designs more than drafting itself. I still haven’t picked up my B.S. diploma.